Jan 28, 2006

I'm Ella

I'm trying to find a story this morning that I either read or heard on the radio about rising violent behavior among our nation's female youth. The argument said that as our girls are raised without gender specific stereotypes they feel more able to beat the crap out of each other and thus violent crimes are on the rise.

Aha! Here you are internets - wrap your minds around this and then apply it to the discussion we're having. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8101517/site/newsweek/from/RL.4/


In other news:

My dear Ella has taken to announcing who she is all the time like she's Denny Crane.

Gramma: Did you go to school today?
Ella: Yep, going to school, I'm Ella

Dan: I'm going bye bye sweetie I'm going to work
Ella: Bye Dad, love you, I'm Ella

Me: Come eat breakfast sweetie
Ella: I'm Ella

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would argue that society in general is more violent, and more public about the violence, and that's one reason there's a higher incidence of crimes perpetuated by girls. But I am sure that the incidence of crimes by boys has also increased -- possibly even the overall rate of violent crimes among adults -- so I'd be hesitant to label the cause as girls being raised to be more aggressive. I think the causal relationships for things happening in society are much more complex than any one factor.

But again, it is great to discuss -- I love that you make me think. Thanks, I'm Nancy.

Jenny said...

I agree and we could even argue that this is all heppening because the world's population is ever growing and news travels faster.

Anonymous said...

Arg - I hate sensationalistic journalism. The article itself states that the most probable reason for the increase in violence among young women is because there's a rise in them being personally subjected to it. If it was about strong women as role models then girls would have been becoming unruly in the 1870's when Anne Oakley was a HUGE role model for young girls. My Grandmother use to talk about how she idolized Anne Oakly and my aunt actually won state champion female marksmanship when she was 15 or 16.

It's not about strong women because in all honesty a strong woman also has the common sense and strength of character to not let herself get out of control.

kaicito said...

i fully agree with nancy in that it's unlikely that any one factor can causally explain an outcome. situations are rarely so simple that the equation "if a leads to be, and b leads to c, then it follows that a causes c" is true.

i'm not so sure that violent crimes have increased...and even if that were true on the national average, there will be places and regions where it's not.

Anonymous said...

The most important thing you all have missed is that violent crime rates in the US have consistently FALLEN for at least the last five years (and I believe that trend goes out for over a decade).

So violent crime has been reduced, however, media coverage has increased.

However, that isn't the real point of your post. I just wanted to point out the reduction in overall violent crime.

Anonymous said...

forgot to cite my data, here is the FBI Uniform Crime Reports link:

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/2005prelim/2005openpage.htm